Overview: Water stable aggregates are formed and destroyed in soils in reflection on soil management and soil building forces. The Solvita VAST Test (Volumetric Aggregate Stability Test) is a unique innovation in testing which will enable commercial soil laboratories to routinely determine soil water stable aggregates by an accurate and fairly rapid, cost-effective approach.
Application: This stand-alone procedure may be performed by anyone without additional laboratory equipment. Air-dried, non-ground soil is measured volumetrically into a 20-mesh sieves and water-dipped a specific number of times. A surface-area measurement grid is used during sieving to gauge the aggregates and final sand (non-aggregate) volume. The application closely matches other wet-sieving gravimetric tests which are more laborious and require multiple runs to obtain dried residue. The WSA% in VAST is read by means of a software tool that quickly calculates relative surface areas and determines variance for repeat tests as a monitor on quality.
Contents: Solvita VAST protocol includes the following components:
- User License Fee not included (renewable annually), please inquire
- Calibrated Volume soil scoop
- Standard Reference Soils with low and high VAST
- 20-MESH concave dipping sieve with calibration metric
- Volumetric scoring CARD, Moisture-proof, to standardize area measurement
- Software to calculate data and print reports for up to 24 samples at a time with coefficient of variance
- Training video on jump-drive
- 1 year free technical support, updates to method
- OPTIONAL PREMIUM PACKAGE: On-site training by Solvita staff. Please inquire