Solvita – a key indicator of biological processes supporting soil health.
Soil health is the foundation of continued productivity and stable yields – and the Solvita® soil test provides the ability to measure the key indicator – CO2 respiration. A common feature of all soil-dwelling organisms whether bacteria, fungi or animals is metabolism – the consumption of litter and detritus and release of respired carbon as CO2 – nature’s natural cycle. It is now well recognized that overall soil respiration is indicative of total soil biology and can be used effectively to monitor and evaluate changes in soil management practices. Solvita provides that capability to soil labs, growers and crop consultants in an easy-to-perform and very accurate soil test method.
What Solvita soil tests are available?
Whether a test kit or a lab method is the right test for you, Solvita offers a variety of ways to test your soil:
1. Field Test – Testing on the Farm for the Grower or Crop Consultant: Easily measure basal CO2 respiration in the field with the Solvita Field Test. Now in just 24 hours, you can have a barometer of your soil’s biology – a soil basal respiration result that gives you the power to make better decisions on tillage, crop rotation and fertilization. Results are provided in a familiar per-acre basis, much like common nutrient tests. The results give you a general indicator of soil health and carbon dioxide emissions per surface area. You can use them to take advantage of your soil’s natural fertility, and save on fertilizer dollars.
2. CO2 Burst Method – Standard Lab Protocol: As soil biology becomes increasingly recognized as a critical component of productivity, the first choice for professional soil testing laboratories is the Solvita CO2 Burst standard lab protocol. You’ll find a new level of precision for soil health testing as the Solvita method is easily adaptable. Dried, weighed samples of soil are moistened with a specific amount of water, triggering a flush or “burst” of carbon dioxide. The magnitude of the burst is measured with the Solvita Digital Color Reader. The CO2 Burst is proportional to microbial biomass and directly tied to potential carbon and nitrogen mineralization.
3. SLAN Test – Lab Testing for Organic Nitrogen: Use this innovative lab test to measure the pool of organic nitrogen, called alkali-labile soil amino-N, that’s available in your soil. Request the SLAN test to see if free ammonia (NH3) is available. CROP advisors and farmers can use the information their lab provides from the Solvita Labile Amino Nitrogen Test to develop better soil management strategies.
4. VAST – Volumetric Aggregate Stability Test: This new lab procedure is a benchmark for natural soil testing. The water stability of soil aggregates is considered a highly desired trait in farm soils. However, time-consuming research methods have prevented growers from having access to such a test. VAST now makes this a reality.
5. Health Toolbox – A New Way for Labs to Look at Soil: Many labs exploring soil health have incorporated the Solvita soil CO2 Burst test into routine tests of Soil Health – including new efforts to extract nutrients with more “green chemistry” soil reagents. CO2 respiration is a common feature of soil biology indexes and soil health scores and may are based on the Solvita respiration methods. To learn more, visit Woods End Laboratories.
Forms of Solvita testing are offered at 35 commercial labs in the US, the UK, South Africa and Australia. Please see the Solvita Lab Map for a lab in your area. If your soil lab isn’t performing the CO2 Burst test, the Solvita Labile Amino Nitrogen test or VAST, ask them about it today. For more information call 800-451-0337. To order a Solvita soil test, visit our store.